Day 5 - Merida, a Roman theatre and recovery


4th April 2018

For months I've been thinking about getting to Merida nearly as much as getting to Nordkapp.  It marks the planned end of the first block of riding and I had no idea how well my body would hold up.  Also, Jacqui has had the task of managing Ivan - fueling, watering, draining, finding our pitch for the evening, along with washing, shopping, cooking and, well just about everything bar pedalling. Fortunately everything has gone, more or less, to plan and J and I are still enjoying each others company!  Things are going so well that we have postponed the rest day until after we get to Caceres tomorrow.  I won't say any more because things could go tits up at anytime.

I have been thinking a lot about pacing myself, and, as we cyclists call it, "recovery".  Recovery involves resting, sleeping, eating lots of protein and avoiding alcohol.  I've done ok except for the last bit.



Merida is the capital of Extramedura and a Unesco world heritage site on account of it's well preserved Roman buildings the best of the lot being it's theatre.  Very impressive!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 67 - Rain, wind, hail and sunshine all at the same time

Day 75 - Repvag, feels like the world's end

Day 62 - Across the Arctic Circle! Tortenkota